Beyond Predictable – Special Episode
VTEX is a world-leader in commerce solutions, and we reached this standing with dedication to engineering our platform to be future-proof. Our customers can count on technology services that are prototyped, developed, tested and improved to add value to their businesses daily.
None of that would be possible without our Software Engineering teams, since they are the steady core that keeps VTEX moving forward. Thinking about the challenges these teams face as we go further into the global market, scalability of our platform has become a key word in the conversations that build our future.
Last March 31st, we opened that conversation to our ecosystem in a webinar called “Engineering our future: challenges of scaling a leading commerce platform”. In that talk, VTEX co-CEO Geraldo Thomaz joined Darlene Medeiros and Bernardo Heynemann (Software Engineering Manager and Engineering Director, respectively) to share ideas about company goals, evolving software architecture, the means to keep an engineering team thriving, and many other details about the VTEX way to face scalability.
Today’s episode of Beyond Predictable is the podcast version of that webinar – the format is a little different from usual, but rest assured that the content is as amazing as usual. Put on your headphones and enjoy!
Here are some insights from the conversation:
- Discipline and consistency turn a vision into reality. Creating an unpredictable future is a process that starts with a big idea, but making it come true requires focus and grit.
- Restarting things from scratch is sometimes necessary – but not always. When something stops working as it should, there are two main courses of action: you either fix it, or you trash it and get a new one. Discretion to know when a repair is more efficient than a remake (and vice-versa) is a valuable skill.
- Open and authentic communication makes us powerful. Being clear and honest in every conversation – from the job interview to the happy hour – is the way to find opportunities for growth. By actively listening to other people’s ideas and pitching our own thoughts forward, we hold the power to transform our impact in the space we share.
- Scalability is a single word for a wide branch of challenges. In order to make a product that can reach more and more distances, we have to make sure that product is ready to adapt to more and more variables: language, customs, resiliency, user experience, reliability… the more you intend to grow, the more complex your challenges become.
- Growth is best enjoyed when it is shared. A flourishing future only makes sense in context, and context requires more than one perspective. Sharing knowledge and opportunities makes a more promising environment for all.
Beyond Predictable is a biweekly podcast that is available on major streaming services. Follow us and don’t miss the next conversations that help to build a future beyond predictable!