VTEX vs SAP Commerce Cloud (formerly SAP Hybris)
Learn what makes the VTEX Commerce Platform stand out from out-of-date solutions like SAP Commerce Cloud (formerly SAP Hybris) and why more companies like Carrefour, the world’s second largest retailer, are making the switch to VTEX, the first and only fully integrated commerce-marketplace-OMS solution.Let’s Talk
Go beyond traditional ecommerce
SAP Commerce Cloud customers are making the switch to VTEX for our modern commerce architecture, flexibility to support any business model, and unparalleled commitment to ensuring every customer’s success.
Businesses need flexibility and speed to evolve customer experiences, collaborating with growing ecosystems of partners and suppliers. And that’s what traditional commerce platforms can’t offer.
VTEX is growing fast, with more than 3,000 customers in 40+ countries. In 2020, we achieved some remarkable milestones:
- Named a digital commerce Visionary by Gartner
- Named a Leader for B2C Commerce by IDC
- Recognized as the fastest growing platform in the world by IDC
- Raised $365M in the last 10 months while remaining fully profitable and earning a $1.7 billion valuation
SAP, on the other hand, is on a downward trend in the Gartner Digital Commerce Magic Quadrant report in 2020 and continues to see customers move off their solution.
More than 2,500 active customers trust VTEX
VTEX vs SAP Commerce Cloud (Hybris)
It may seem counterintuitive, but there was a time it made sense for enterprises to build a full IT infrastructure to support their e-commerce operations. However, once SaaS solutions like VTEX arrived, organizations could respond faster to business and customers’ needs with lower costs and greater flexibility. Here are the main differences.
- Multi-tenant SaaS solution with microservice, API-first, cloud-based, and headless architecture. Monolithic application framework.
- Flexibility to deliver commerce experiences for any channel or customer touchpoint. Requires significant resources, time, and budget to implement and maintain.
- Assemble VTEX Commerce Platform capabilities, third-party applications, and custom-built elements to create a unique commerce ecosystem. Front-end and back-end are tightly coupled, making it complex and hard to work with.
- The modular approach makes it easy to add, modify, or update elements as business needs and customer preferences change. Less flexible to add or update services, contributing to high maintenance and management costs.
- Over 12,000 automatic upgrades per year so users don't have to go through lengthy upgrade cycles and refactor custom code. Just a handful of updates in the last two years, all of which required refactoring custom code and lengthy regression testing cycles.
- No need to manage servers and environments. Requires an IT or cloud-ops team to manually deploy additional resources.
- No need to plan, scale or monitor resources for peak events - it’s all taken care of automatically. Peak events must be planned ahead of time and businesses need to constantly monitor for usage spikes.
- Services scale up and down dynamically as each one of them requires different capacities. When extra capacity is needed, the entire platform must be scaled, which is less efficient and consumes more compute resources.
- Offers VTEX IO, a low-code development platform. Must create dev-ops processes and tools for managing and deploying customizations.
- Custom code and extensions are maintained separate from platform code. Developers need to directly modify the platform code.
- VTEX takes care of all the servers and environments for you. Need to maintain separate development, test, and staging servers.
- Upgrades are automatic and your customizations won’t break when a new version or enhancement is applied. Custom code needs to be refactored when vendor provided updates are applied.
- VTEX Master Data Management lets you customize and orchestrate commerce and customer data without modifying platform database schema. Extending SAP Commerce Cloud data structures requires users to manipulate the platform's database schema.
- Serverless - you don’t need to create and manage environments and servers for your applications and integrations. Need to host and manage servers and environments for all front-end applications and integrations.
- Versionless APIs provide access to all VTEX services and data objects. APIs were added after the fact and are versioned.
- Over 1,000 pre-built applications and integrations. All applications and integrations must be custom-built.
VTEX versus SAP Commerce Cloud (hybris) Comparison Guide
A lot has changed since SAP Commerce Cloud (hybris) was developed, find out what a modern commerce platform can do for your business.
Migrate from SAP to VTEX Commerce Platform
Replatforming from SAP Commerce Cloud (Hybris) to VTEX Commerce Platform can be done in as little as 90 days.
90 Days to Revenue
With our commerce roadmap, move to a digital commerce platform that scales as you grow and future-proof your business using our practical, proven approaches.